The journey form learning Quantum Mechanics to potentially becoming a Qiskit Advocate


The journey form learning Quantum Mechanics to potentially becoming a Qiskit Advocate

Becoming a Qiskit advocate is one of my greatest achievement this year. I feel able to contribute to the community and the world with my talent and enthusiasm. Before getting into the practice of advocate, I want to look back on my journey of learning quantum computing for nearly 6 years that is amazing. Not only do I get to know more about the physical world in a deeper sense, but also enable me to take advantage of this strangeness to computing that contributes to society and the world  in a revolutionary way. 

How I know about quantum mechanics is from a physics course offered in my Science Education bachelor degree in 2014. At that time, I did not understand what wave function is, I just browsed the internet and YouTube to find any explanation that suits my level and taste. I found that there is a TED talk about quantum computing. I found it very fascinating and made it be my topic for an individual education Web Quest project on teaching undergraduate students (but the project original aim is to deliver knowledge to secondary school or primary school students!)  quantum computing. I have to admit that I did not put much effort into the project but keep reading the news and paper about this emerging cutting-edge technology. Below is the concept map I devise for this project, this reminds me how much time and effort I have dive into the field before really getting into academia. 

After graduation, I kept my interest in quantum computation and I decided to study a Physics Master Degree in 2016. In the first year, I learnt a lot about linear algebra and quantum formalism. At that time, as a newcomer to university Physics, I could only know how to change the basis state and to calculate the probability of finding the state at specific basis state. I have done a very brief introductory presentation to Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics. It's the fundamentals of the subject matter. To get into the field, I was finding some research opportunities but it was not successful due to lack of knowledge and technical skills. In the second year,  fortunately, I could take a guided study course on quantum computing offered by Professor Sen Yang and at the same time, there was a release of cloud quantum computing service to the public IBM. Since then I could indeed get my hand dirty  and I really know what it is actually doing in the qubit gate operation. Amazingly, the IBMQ Experience helped me to finish the project on quantum computing (there is some problem with the format of ppt to the LinkedIn slide-share, I will upload that later soon) by the manipulation of gates, setting up superposition, entanglement, superdense coding (though I haven't put that into the slide at that time). It was a very great experience as I could perform the measurement even I did not have access to academic research. However, what I know about quantum computing was still a very infancy state at that time.

During the pandemics and I attend the Summer School

At that time, I could not find any position like using the Qiskit for quantum computing development, whereas most of the research position focuses on the experimental field or hardware implementation like vacancy-nitrogen in a diamond.  With very little knowledge about quantum optics, I knew myself was not a suitable candidate to get into the academic yet. After the graduation, I found jobs relating to Mathematics and Physics teacher / academic tutor such that I could consolidate my foundation in physical science and I squeeze my little time to keep studying quantum mechanics after work. The self-study plan is not successful, stuck at some point and I keep relearning. I need something to scaffold my learning process and finally, I re-meet Qikist. 

During the pandemics, my full-time job was shifted to the part-time module, afterwards, I had plenty of time to rethink what I should pursue in the future. I searched about quantum computing and I found there is a Qiskit Episode offered by Abraham Asfaw. After this episode, I found myself more into the Physics part, and I also a more formal learning style. I search the tutorial where I was not sure what's going on in the episode and after a while, I am more and more confident in coding the quantum gate.

After nearly 3 months, I accidentally found that there will be a two-week Global Summer School that would touch various topics, from fundamental concepts to job career advice. After joining this summer program, I have learnt a lot of things that not only consolidate my previous concept but also strengthen my capability and interest in this field. Thanks to this summer school, I have got tremendous resources from other learners shared in the chatbox during the online lecture. And it is my first time to develop my own Discord server to organise all these learning materials. Futhermore, the slack community is very very helpful that when I have any problem Qiskitters are ready to answer. 

Qiskit Advocate Application

Apart from this, I was ambitious enough to take the challenge and apply for being a Qiskit Advocate by finishing 30 questions in the area of Quantum Circuit, Advanced Circuit, running on real devices, pulse, high-performance simulator, quantum system error analysis and optimisation. I knew this from a Qiskitter that encourage me to participate. The test questions are very new to me, I nearly read all the details form the tutorial and the textbook. The journey of coding Qiskit through completing the test is marvellous that I can use the interactive Qiskit textbook and write the algorithm, circuit, pulse schedule, calibrating qubits on my own. I have an article about the summer school and advocate application in-depth, please click here to have a look.

After Being a Qiskit Advocate, what's next? 

To answer this question is to rethink why I want to be a Qiskit advocate and read through some posts who are now Qiskit advocates to grasp some ideas. For me, not only can I obtain a badge from the program, but I will be added to a group of quantum expert and will be taking part in the regular information sharing session. Also, I will have access to core members of the team for questions and brainstorming ideas. Besides, I will have an opportunity to collaborate with IBM and my work will be supported and highlighted. These advantages are very appealing, 

In details, I have read an article written by Jack Woehr who suggested that the benefits are Qiskit project access. He stated that, as being an advocate, we  would receive extra training in the live video sessions and meet this assigned with those to participate on behalf of IBM Q business partners, with scholars, scientists and with the merely curious. Besides, the endeavour we put on helping others is an independent voice speaking, I have my own credited contribution. So the helping attitude is recognised by the team that motivates me to participate more in the project. 

Added to it, Junye Huang shared experience of receiving amazing mentorship from IBMers James Weaver and Gregory Boland that scaffold him to make demos on teaching and guide him on how to collaborate in teams. Junye has also mentioned in his article that not only our works will be supported and highlighted by IBM, but many advocates also have the opportunity to work as an intern and even full-time employee in IBM. He provides an excellent example of Advocate Amira Abbas's project is one of the Qiskit textbook chapters. Of course, he is already a wonderful role model who now become a full-time community team member after a year of advocate experience.

More importantly, I want to be invited to attend global events like Qiskit Camp, Qiskit hackathon and hold a local Qikist community. Why? It will be great to makes friends with the common enthusiast and mission towards quantum computing. As shared by another Qiskit Advocate Desirre Vogt-Lee where she took part a Qiskit Camp at the IBM Thomas J Watson Research Center in New York. She has experienced a lab tour to see the real quantum computer and engaged in group discussion for a hackathon. She came up with very brilliant projects like quantum random walk and quantum game theory that I am most interested in. You can also find similar experience from the article written by Farai Mazhandu

Besides, I see that there are more and more communities from different corner of the globe, like Africa, India, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Mexico, USA, you can name it. I want to be one of the organisers in my place too. It will create a great vibe to gather and brainstorm on the local community to get the place quantum-ready by holding meet-ups, study groups, Qiskit camp or hackathon. What's more, translating the language to Cantonese/Chinese is probably more friendly for local Qiskitter to study the field with ease. As Qiskitter with science education background, I believe that I can devise some tutorial and textbook with proper guidance and instruction so that new learners can be able to pick up the concept very quickly.

I know there are much more we can achieve if we have the chance to be an advocate and I cannot include all these elements in this article. I hope I could experience more and share all these invaluable experience here in the future.